How To Arrive At Singapore City Center From Changi Airport
The Singapore Changi Airport, which is also called Changi Airport (IATA: SIN, ICAO: WSSS), is quite instrumental to Singapore. Asides being one of the biggest aviation hubs in Asia, it is also rated as one of the busiest airports in the world – with over 100 airlines flying to 400 cities across the world. Additionally, since 2013, Skytrax has ranked the Singapore Changi Airport as the best in the world for seven consecutive years. The Airport is situated in Changi, 20 km (12 miles) northeast of Marina Bay, Singapore’s central district.
1. MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
One of the advantages of travelling to the city through an MRT train is that it helps you save cost. This option is great for travellers who want to be more economical.
If you want to board an MRT, you can walk down to the train station from Changi Terminal 2 or Changi Terminal 3. The train station is situated at the basement level of Changi Terminal 2.
From Changi Terminal 1, you can board a SkyTrain and move to Changi Terminal 3. The trip takes about 15 minutes or thereabout. Furthermore, if you’re coming from Changi Terminal 4, you need to first get to Changi Terminal 2 through the 24-hour shuttle bus service. You can board a SkyTrain at arrive Changi Terminal 2.
Locating the MRT station is not difficult. You just need to follow the signs that read “Train to the city” while walking.
MRT Opening Hours: The train station is usually open from 06:00 am – 00:00 am, everyday.
1）Singapore Changi Airport To City Center
If you want to move from Changi Airport to the city center, you’ll have to get to Tanah Merah MRT Station first. Immediately you get to Tanah Merah, alight from the train and cross over to the other side of the platform where you’ll wait for the city center transfer (East West Line towards Tuas Link MRT Station).
Alternatively, you can also move from Changi Airport to Expo MRT first, then travel downtown towards Bukit Panjang MRT Station.
The schedule of train trips from Changi Airport MRT Station to Tanah Merah MRT Station is listed below:
- The first train of the day departs at 05:31 am (from Monday to Saturday), and at 05:59 am (on Sundays and public holidays).
- The last train connecting to Tuas Link departs Tanah Merah MRT Station at 11:18 pm.
- The last train connecting to Pasir Ris departs Tanah Merah MRT Station at 12:06 am.
It takes about 6 minutes to move from Changi Airport to Tanah Merah MRT Station, and almost 30 minutes to travel from Tanah Merah MRT Station to the city center .
2） City Center To Singapore Changi Airport
If you want to move from the city center to Changi Airport, all you need to do is enter an eastbound train at Tanah Merah MRT station, alight at Terminal 2 and board a SkyTrain if you wish to transfer to another terminal.
Departures: The train takes off every 10 – 20 minutes.
Schedule: The first train of the day departs at 05:20 am (from Monday to Saturday), and 05:47 am (on Sundays and public holidays). The last train of the day leaves for Changi Airport at 11:50 pm.
How To Buy Tickets
You can buy your ticket by operating the touch screen of the ticket vending machines at Changi Airport Station.
Types Of Ticket And Fares
The tickets come in varieties, so you can buy any one that suits your needs.
- Single Ticket: This type of ticket is designed like a contactless card and it can be used for single and return trips. You can buy it from the General Ticket Machines at MRT station. Please note: Single tickets can only be purchased by cash payment. This ticket is a great option for travellers who want to stay in Singapore for a long time, it can be used 6 times within 30 days of its purchase.
Adult single tickets cost $1.16, and the overall cost for a ride to the city center is $2.80 (this includes an extra $1 for the card). Additionally, there is a 10 cents deposit attached to the purchase price. This deposit is automatically returned to the traveller on the third trip.
- EZLink card: The EZLink card allows you to take several bus and train trips, depending on the stored value in it. You can buy an EZLink card at TransitLink Ticket offices, 7-Eleven and SingPost outlets. An adult EZLink goes for $12 (this includes a non-refundable $5 card cost). Before you start using your card, you’ll need to purchase Top-Up cards from SingPost outlets.
The EZLink card is ideal for travellers who want to stay in Singapore for a couple of days. Since it has a validity period of 5 years, you can visit Singapore multiple times before it expires.
2. Public Bus Service
The bus lines headed for Singapore City Center take off from the basement bus bays of Terminal 1,2 and 3 of Changi Airport, and stop at Marine Parade, Orchard Road and Somerset Road.
Schedule: This journey usually lasts for one hour. The bus service operates from 06:08 am – 10:52 pm on weekdays, 06:07 am – 10:52 on Saturdays, and 06:06 am – 11:53 on Sundays and Public holidays.
Frequency: Buses move within 8-12 minutes, depending on the time of the day.
There are two bus lines at the airport. Your final destination should determine which one you enter.
- 36A: Buses move from Changi Airport to the Regent S’pore.
- 36B:Buses move from Lagoon View stop to Opp Mandarin Gardens. If want to follow this route, you must first take 36A from Changi Airport and stop at Lagoon view.
Location: You can find the bus lines in Changi Business Park, at Singapore Changi Airport.
Fares: A one-way ticket is sold for $2.50 and it can be used for only one trip. If you want to buy this ticket, make sure you come with the exact amount needed to purchase the ticket, as no exchange will be given. If you’re paying for the ticket with an EZLink card, the fare is $1.84.
Note: This card is used for multiple rides and can be bought at Changi Airport train station and Changi recommended stores.
Customer Service: For enquiries, you can call +65 6812 6458 (from 07:30 am – 08:00 pm everyday).
1）Changi Business Park Shuttle
This shuttle service is completely free of charge. You can board any of the buses to and from Changi Business Park to the city.
Stops: Eightrium, IBM Building, Honeywell Building, Akzonobel House, Standard Chartered Building, Plaza 8 Building, DBS Building, Changi Airport Terminal 3.
It’s important to note that the luggage compartment of the bus is not available for use. The trip usually lasts for 26 minutes or thereabout.
Schedule: The shuttle service operates from 11:50 am – 02:25 pm (Monday to Fridays, excluding public holidays).
Location: All buses take off from Terminal 3 at Changi Airport.
Customer Service: For enquiries, you can call +65 6559 8959.
2）Singapore University Of Technology And Design
This shuttle service is also free of charge. You can board any of the buses and move from Changi Airport Terminal 3 to Singapore University of Technology and Design.
Note: The luggage compartment of the bus is not available for use.
Schedule: The shuttle service operates from Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. Below is the daily schedule:
- From Changi Airport:Buses move by 11:45 am, 12:15 pm, 12:45 pm, 01:15 pm, 01:45 pm, and 02:15 pm.
- From Singapore University of Technology and Design:Buses move by 11:30 am, 12:00 pm, 12:30 pm, 01:00 pm, 01:30 pm, and 02:00 pm.
Location: All buses take off from Changi Airport Terminal 3.
Customer service: For enquiries, you can call +65 8861 2113.
3）City Shuttle To Downtown Hotels
This bus line transfers visitors from Singapore Changi Airport to downtown hotels. Before making a reservation, do well to confirm if your hotel is listed.
Schedule: This is a 25 minutes journey
Departures: Buses take off every 15 – 30 minutes.
Customer Service: For enquiries, you can call +65 6241 3818 (main booking hotline / 24 hours available).
Location: Buses take off from all Changi Airport Terminals.
Fares: The One-way adult ticket sells for $9, while that of children – 12 years old and below – cost $6.
Booking: To make a reservation, you need to go to Ground Transport Concierges (GTC) at Arrivals Hall of Changi Terminals 1, 2 , 3 and 4.
4）Transtar Cross Border Service (TS1) To Johor Bahru (Malaysia)
This shuttle service transfers travellers from Singapore Changi Airport to Johor Bahru CIQ (Malaysia).
Location: Pickup points include:
- Changi Terminal 1:Arrival Coach Bay Lot B / C.
- Changi Terminal 4: Arrivals Hall Coach Bay lot 7 / 8.
Make sure you arrive the pickup point 10 minutes before departure time.
Schedule: This is journey usually lasts for 2 hours.
- From Changi Airport:The shuttle service operates from 08:15 am – 11:15 pm.
- From Johor Bahru CIQ: The shuttle service operates from 05:00 am – 09:15 pm.
Fares: The one-way adult ticket sells for $10, while that of children cost $5.
If you want to buy this ticket, make sure you come with the exact amount needed to purchase the ticket, as no exchange will be given. If you have an EZLink card, you can also purchase multiple rides while on-board.
3. Changi Airport Taxis
Travelling by taxi is clearly the quickest and most convenient way of getting to Singapore’s city center from Changi Airport. A trip to downtown Singapore usually lasts for 25-30 minutes.
You can find taxis at the taxi stands of the Arrival levels of each Terminal. All the taxis run on meter, so there won’t be any need for haggling.
Travel Time: It takes about 20 minutes to move from Changi Airport to the City Hall
Cost: During off-peak hours, a regular taxi will charge up to SGD 20 ($14.60) for 19km.
Service Hours: Taxis are available 24/7.
Note: It’s important to remember the following:
- For port surcharge, you’ll be required to pay SGD 5 ($3.65) (Friday – Sunday from 17:00 – 23.59); and SGD 3 ($2.20) at all other times.
- For late night (00:00 – 05.59) surcharge, the fee is 50% of the fare shown on the meter.
- For Peak hours (06:00 – 09:29 Mon to Fri, 18:00 – 23:59 everyday) surcharge, the fee is 25% of the metered fare.
Passengers are required to pay the ERP charges that is displayed on the In-vehicle Unit of the cab.