There is a famous saying by Chairman Mao: “If you don’t get to the Great Wall you’re not a good man.” As an ”Eighth Wonder of the Ancient World”, the Great Wall of China is a must-see attraction. However, there are many different sections of the Great Wall in Beijing, so which section is best for you? For the first-time visitor to Beijing, who wants to see most highlights of the Great Wall in a time-saving manner, without too much exertion, the Great Wall at Mutianyu is probably the best choice.
- Hike up the best fully-restored Great Wall section at Mutianyu.
- Enjoy a peaceful time and being amazed by the Great Wall at Mutianyu which is less crowded, has better architecture, and has more watchtowers than other sections.
- Take a cable car (or toboggan) up and down the mountain, avoid hiking up and walking back down the mountain on over 800 steps by taking a cable car or a toboggan, making it very easy to visit.
- With the greens of pines and cypresses covering ninety percent of the surrounding area, the scenery there is beautiful all year round.
- A unique Great Wall hiking experience escorted by a professional expert guide.
Get free drinking water and hiking equipment at the Mr orange Refreshments Kiosk at the foot of the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
Guide, Driver, Vehicle, and Customer Service Support
- Guide: better than a normal licensed tour guide; friendly and helpful with fluent English
- Driver: reliable licensed local driver with at least 5 years’ driving experience
- Vehicle: Air-conditioned business car (max: 7 seats) with GPS facilities, free in-car Wi-Fi, big windows, and ample space
- Mr orange Beijing Office: 24-7 customer service, providing backup support
Great Wall at Mutianyu Hiking Map
9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Cruise port pick-up and drive to the Great Wall at Mutianyu and have lunch at Xinshuangquan restaurant
Meet your guide at your hotel. He or she will be waiting in the hotel lobby, holding a placard with your name on it. Then drive to the Great Wall section at Mutianyu which will take about 1½ hours and we’ll have a rest and enjoy your delicious Beijing local food for lunch at our well selected local restaurant – Xinshuangquan.
Good to know:
- The evening before your tour, your Mr orange guide will call you at around 7:00 pm to confirm the departure time. If you don’t answer, your guide will leave a message for you at the front desk. If you’ve neither received a message nor a call after 8:00pm, contact the Mr orange Beijing Office on 13910694045. We will solve your problems on the spot.
- It is necessary to wear comfortable hiking shoes for the hiking.
- Be prepared for a hiking day and have a nice lunch before leaving.
- Do not forget you are going to the mountains where the weather can rapidly change, and that there are no shops on this part of the Wall.
- We are also available to provide the private airport transfer service for this trip, price from 18 USD p/p. Click here to book the transfer.
- We can drive our own vehicle to the foot of the Great Wall to save your precious time if we have lunch at the Subway™ while others have to wait for the public transfer bus to the foot of the Great Wall.
- Your guide will be waiting for you in your hotel lobby.
Lunch at Xinshuangquan Restaurant
1:30 PM – 4:00 PM
Hike the Great Wall at Mutianyu (including cable car or toboggan)
Upon arrival, collect some cool drinking water and a walking pole at the Mr orange Refreshment Kiosk at the foot of the Great Wall before taking a shuttle bus to the Mutianyu tourist area.
You will have three options for travelling up to the Wall: cable car, chair lift, or by foot. You can decide which option you prefer when you arrive. If you choose to go by cable car or the chair lift it will take seven minutes to reach the top of the Wall; going up by foot might take you 45 minutes to conquer the 300 steps, but you can walk in the shade of the trees and breathe the fresh mountain air which will also be enjoyable. When you arrive at the Great Wall, you can stretch your legs and take a relaxing walk on the Wall for three hours.
From the 14th watchtower, walk east to the 23rd watchtower on the most beautiful part of the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall. Then you could walk back to the sixth watchtower and take a toboggan down the mountain which is fun. (You could also choose to stop at the 14th watchtower and take the cable car down the mountain at no extra cost or opt to travel back down by foot).
Good to know:
- We avoid (the worst of the) crowds on the Great Wall and traffic jams by visiting in the afternoon.
- Take a cable car (or toboggan) up and down the mountain, making it very easy to visit.
- Hike the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Return to Beijing
Arrive at the foot of the Great Wall and take a shuttle bus to the parking lot. You will be transferred back to your hotel at approximately 6:00 pm.
Good to know:
If you plan to leave Beijing after your day tour, please check out from your hotel before departure. Normally it will take 10 to 20 minutes for hotel staff to complete the procedure. You may leave your luggage in our vehicle, and you will be transferred to the airport or train station straight after the tour to make best use of your time. You will need 1 hour to be transferred from the city center to airport, and you will need to be at the airport 1.5 hours before a domestic flight, or 2.5 hours before you’re an international flight. Tell us about your departure time when booking, and remind our guide, and we will make arrangements accordingly. We provide private airport / train station to transfer (price from 18 USD p/p).
Adults (age>12) Children (age 2-12) Infant (age<2)
$89 USD $79 USD free
This tour is available daily, guaranteed departure. You’ll be a part of a small group with maximum 6 person.
- Entrance fees to the Great Wall at Mutianyu
- Transportation between your Beijing hotel and the Great Wall
- Lunch at Xinshuangquan Restaurant
- English-speaking mountain tour guide service
- Snacks and drinking water on the Great Wall
- Shuttle bus transfer service from the Gate of the Great Wall at Mutianyu to the foot of the Great Wall
- Round-trip cable car (or toboggan) up and down the mountain
- Personal expenses.
- Gratuities to the tour guide & driver (usually CNY 50 – 100 per person for your tour guide, CNY 25 – 50 per person for your driver). It is not compulsory but would be a great encouragement for them.
- Airport transfer. Click here to book airport transfer service. (price from 18 USD p/p.)
Mr orange Cancellation Policy for Beijing Tours
- If we are not able to implement the contract due to war, flood, typhoon, fire, strikes, storm, earthquake, or any other condition we are not able to foresee and avoid, we will inform customers at the first possible opportunity and offer the best possible solutions, and the final bill shall be settled based on the service we actually provide.
- Up to 7 days before departure: 100% refund of all money paid, excluding penalties charged by hotels, railways, airlines, and PayPal, if applicable. All penalties will be itemized.
- From 3 to 7 days before departure: 90% refund, excluding penalties charged by hotels, railways, airlines, and PayPal, if applicable. All penalties will be itemized.
- Within 3 days before departure: no refund.
- After the trip has commenced, we are unable to refund any amount for cancelled services due to non-participation, early departure, late arrival, or missed days on tours.
- For groups of more than 10 people: The terms for cancellation may vary from case to case. Please ask your travel advisor regarding the cancellation policy for your group.
About 72-Hour Visa-Free Transit Policy
Citizens of certain countries who meet the criteria are allowed 72-hour visa-free transit via and travel in nine China cities: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi’an, Guilin, Shenyang, and Dalian. Please make sure you have read the detailed Visa-free policies before you decide to take the Visa-free policy. And please keep in mind that Mr orange does not take any responsibility for the risk or loss of customer who use the Visa-free policy. more details
Hotel pick-up and drop-off area
The hotel pick-up and drop-off area should be within the fourth ring road of Beijing. For further distance there might be an extra cost for the transfer which you’ll be notified by your travel advisor.
What Makes Us Different
- We are experienced and professional!
- We have been touring the Great Wall hiking trails for 8 years, and all the relevant services we provide are reliable and optimized.
- You don’t need to prepare trekking poles, water, hip bag, GPS, first aid kit, or walkie-talkie, because we will provide them FREE OF CHARGE.
- No Shopping! No Hidden Costs! Great Value for Money!
- We promise that there’s absolutely no shopping, no factories, no time-wasting itineraries while most other travel agents do to make the tour price seems to be lower. We are the first China travel agency to offer NO SHOPPING on all our tour itineraries.We might not be the cheapest one but we make all our efforts to make sure the great experience for our customers to create more value for our customers.
- excellent service provided by Mr orange tour guide.
We are reliable and trust-worthy!
- We have our own local office in Beijing. We aim to deliver a high-value tour to every one of our customers. We have more than 50 local staff in Beijing to solve your problems on the spot.
- Emergency contact: 0086-13910694045 (24-7 customer service)
- Beijing address: Room 204, Building 8, Beijingxiangsu, Wuliqiao Erjie, Chaoyang District
Mr orange Beijing Office