What is the Belt and Road (B&R)?
The Belt and Road is the abbreviation of the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road. In September and October 2013, President of China Xi Jinping put forward the initiatives of building “the new silk road economic belt” and “the 21st -Century Maritime Silk Road”.
What are the countries on the Belt and Road?
1. 11 countries in Southeast Asia: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia and East Timor
2. 8 countries in South Asia: Nepal. Bhutan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Maldives
3. 5 countries in Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
4. 18 countries in West Asia: Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Lebanon, Greece, Cyprus and Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula
5. 16 countries in Central Eastern Europe: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, and Slovenia
6. 7 countries of the Commonwealth of the Independent States: Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Azerbaijan, and Armenia
7. Mongolia, Egypt
What is the policy of the Belt and Road?
The policy of the Belt and Road refers to the cooperation under the framework of equal cultural identity. It is a national strategic decision, representing the spirit of peace, communication, understanding, tolerance, cooperation and win-win result. Relying on the existing bilateral and multilateral mechanism between China and relevant countries and the regional cooperation platform, the policy aims to hold high the banner of peaceful development, and foster an economic cooperation partnership with countries along the Belt and Road and form a community of shared interest, destiny and responsibility with political mutual trust and cultural tolerance
What are the initiatives of the Belt and Road?
The core cooperation contents of the five major international cooperation determined by the Belt and Road Initiatives are investment and trade. To be specific, it has to gradually realize the following five aspects:
1. Policy communication: Policy conversation should be conducted by leaders at all levels.
2. Road connection: the existing roads, railways, aviation roads, seaways, and pipeline routes should be connected, and the connection in the fields of electricity, telecommunication, posts, border defence, customs and quality control should also be developed.
3. Unimpeded trade： the promotion of trade or investment facilitation should be focused.
4. Financial integration: Financial integration includes domestic currency settlement and currency swap.
5. people-to-people bonds: the communication between different civilizations and religions should be promoted, as well as the education, cultural communication and tourist development.
What is the CHINA RAILWAY Express for the Belt and Road?
CHINA RAILWAY Express (short as CR Express), organized by China railway corporation, is an international combined railway applied in China, Europe and countries along the Belt and Road, which operates on a fixed time, route and schedule. The CHINA RAILWAY Express connects the countries not only in European countries and countries along the Belt and Road, but also in east Asia, Southeast Asia and other regions. It is not a path for railway but also a path for multi-modal transportation.
On June 8th, 2016, CHINA RAILWAY launched the brand “CHINA RAILWAY Express”officially, and has been operated the railway express by following the six unified mechanism that is unified brand logo, unified transport organization, unified price, unified service standards, unified operating team and unified coordination platform. In this way, it combines the strengths all over the world and enhances its market competitiveness.
At present, there are three routes for CHINA RAILWAY Express
1. west route:
A: exits from Xinjiang Ahlahs Shankou (Horgus) pass, and connects trans-Siberian railway through Kazakhstan. By passing Belarus, Poland, German and other countries, it reaches other countries in Europe.
B: exits from Horgus (Ahlahs Shankou) pass, and passes Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Turkey and other countries, it reaches countries in Europe. Or passes Caspian through Kazakhstan and enters in Azerbaijan, Georgia, Bulgaria, finally reaching European countries.
C: connects Torugart (Irkeshtam) with China-Kyrgyzstan-Uzbekistan railway, and reaches Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Turkey and other countries in Europe.
2. central route: exits from Erenhot of Inner Mongolia, and connects trans-Siberian railway through Mongolia, finally reaching European countries.
3. east route: exits from Manzhouli of Inner Mongolia and connects trans-Siberian railway, finally reaching European countries.
CHINA RAILWAY Express can be divided into direct line and transfer line
Direct line: block trains from major source places of inland, costal major ports to foreign countries.
Transfer line: block trains that collect sources both in local regions and other cities along the major railway junctions .
At present, there are 59 CHINA RAILWAY Express within China, which can reach 49 European cities in 15 countries. The Return-Departure ratio has reached 72%, that is to say 4 trains depart and 3 trains return. Quality Index such as loaded van rate and planned vesting rate has reached the best ever.